Archives 01 Rev. Eric Michel Catholic Time

All Roads Lead To A Church

Eglise de la paroisse Notre-Dame-de-Grâce
Church Of The Parish Our-Lady-Of-Grace
Hull Quebec


1832 Fondation de la mission Notre-Dame-de-Grâce-de-Hull.Comté de Hull. Diocèse d’Ottawa. La mission de Hull fut desservie par des missionnaires de 1832 à 1871, date de la nomination du premier curé résidant et de l’ouverture des registres de la paroisse. La paroisse fut confiée aux  Oblats de Marie Immaculée par décret de Mgr Guigues le 14 novembre 1870. L’église Notre-Dame de Grâce, disparue au 20e siècle par un incendie: Dimanche le 12 septembre 1971, lorsque les Hullois se rendent  à l’église ils ne se doutent pas qu’ils assistent à la dernière messe célébrée dans le vieil édifice historique.

1870  Fondation de l’école Normale Saint-Joseph

From Wikipedia

Élisabeth Bruyère or Bruguier (March 19, 1818 – April 5, 1876) was the founder of the Sisters of Charity of Bytown and opened the first hospital there and the first bilingual school in Ontario. She was born Élisabeth Bruguier in L’Assomption in Lower Canada in 1818.Daughter of Jean Baptiste Charles Bruguier and Sophie Mercier.In 1839, she joined the Sisters of Charity of the Hôpital Général of Montreal also known as the Grey Nuns. In 1845, she was asked to set up a community of the Sisters of Charity atBytown. With three other Grey Nuns, she established Roman Catholic schools, hospitals and orphanages there. In 1854, the community in Bytown became independent of Montreal. Although the Sisters of Charity cared for people of every religious denomination during the typhus outbreak in 1847, a Protestant General Hospital, later the Ottawa Civic Hospital, was opened in 1850. The Sisters of Charity were also responsible from 1870 to 2001 for the school which became today the Collège Saint-Joseph de Hull in Gatineau, the city’s girl school and one of two private secondary institutions. The community opened other houses in Ontario, Quebec and New York state. The hospital opened in Bytownlater became the Ottawa General Hospital. The Sisters of Charity also established facilities for the aged, opening the St. Charles Old Age Hospice, later the Residence Saint-Louis. She died in Ottawa in 1876.

Eric Michel 6 years old, First Communion at Normale Saint Joseph School

Memory tells me in 2nd row 4th seat me (Eric Michel) and 7th seat Myre C. in 3rd row from the left: 2nd seat Vaillant A.  3rd seat Laprade,4th seat Lalonde Standing up on the right side of the teacher a  Rioux C.

Under control by the Catholic Church.

In 1864, the Notre-Dame parish, with Father Louis ReboulIn in 1869, due of Civilization and the EB Eddy Paper Plant. A new school with several classes was built and was only accessible for girls at the primary level. The classes for boys remained at what was called the Saint-Etienne in French. The demand continuously grew over the years and a new building, as well as an abbey, was built between 1870 and 1876 to accommodate extra classes in a private school called”L’académie Notre-Dame de Grace”. It was later destroyed when a large portion of the former City of Hull was destroyed by a massive fire in 1888.

A new non-private school was rebuilt in stone in 1890 and also included an abbey. The building was not affected by the Great Fire of 1900 that destroyed a large portion of downtown Hull and the Lebreton Flats area Ottawa located just to the south and west of the school complex.

Ecole Normale Saint-Joseph 1909–1968

In 1909, the building was renamed Ecole Normale Saint-Joseph and remained unchanged until 1968. However, due to increasing demand, renovations were made in the 1930s, during the great depression to add more students.

In 1950, a massive fire at the school killed 4 people and destroyed much of the structure including the abbey. Rapidly, the school was rebuilt and classes resumed shortly after.

In 1965, while the school only included students from the elementary (primary) level, a new secondary level was added due to the high demand. Under control by the Catholic Church.

Collège Normale Saint-Joseph de Hull

Collège Saint-Joseph de Hull.jpg – Wikimedia Commons